The Zambia Law Development Commission is seeking submissions from stakeholders and members of the public to inform the process for the Review of the Public Order Act Chapter 113 of the laws of Zambia.
Introduction and Background
The Public Order Act was enacted in 1955 and amended in 1996 to, inter alia, make provision for the preservation of public order; prohibit the wearing of uniforms in connection with political objects and the maintenance by private persons of associations of military or similar character.
The Objective of the Review
The overall objective of the law review process is to repeal and replace the Public Order Act in order to develop a legal framework that regulates public assemblies and meetings anchored on constitutionally guaranteed fundamental rights and freedoms.
FORMAT AND GUIDELINES ON MAKING SUBMISSIONS
Submissions to the review should:
- Be in English or any of the seven major local languages;
- Be in legible handwriting, typed or WhatsApp audio format;
- If typed in both PDF and Word format;
- Indicate the name, district and contact details of the person submitting (Phone number, email or postal address where we can contact you to seek clarification if need be); and
- Indicate areas that need review or recommend national, regional or international best practices that should be included in the new law. Provide an explanation or reasons to support the proposals or recommendations.
NOTE: The Commission will not accept submissions written in derogatory language or submissions purely based on false information.
The submissions received are intended solely for this review process.
Please send your submissions, indicating in the subject line “CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS ON THE REVIEW OF THE PUBLIC ORDER ACT”, to-
Facebook Page: Zambia Law Development Commission
WhatsApp line: +260 955 931 639
Zambia Law Development Commission
P.O Box 34670, Lusaka, Zambia.
Plot No. 24F
The deadline for receipt of submissions is 12th August 2022.
For further enquiries contact us on:
Phone: +260 955 931 639